You will know when it exists -- Obscure journalism direct from our man on the ground.

Sunday 4 August 2013

Starting a Male Fashion Blog < FAIL >



















Most of the clothes I own I've been given, the rest come from Sports Direct. That means my wardrobe only really gets updated twice a year: birthday and Christmas. 

This April I was given a £45 gift voucher for Amazon. Seeing as I can download music and films illegally and books are for losers, I decided to buy clothes. With all the new apparel that this would bring into my life I knew it was the right time to start a male fashion blog. I was reading a lot of blogs at the time and most of them were begging to be parodied. Here is some of my inspiration.


Top 3 male fashion blogs


This Boy Ben

London Mckenzie

Chivalrous


My intention was to make a spoof fashion blog. I wanted it to be as cringe as possible. To make this work I had to make it seem like it was not a joke at all. So I had to be myself, keep it real, and as I wasn't a naturally inclined fashion blogger, it would prove to be tricky. I would have to adopt a new persona for a while.


Choosing a name for your blog


First of all I had to pick a catchy URL that would also be the blogger-brand I'd go by. Some options I considered were:

  • ChrisXcouture.Wordpress.com (Chris Cross Couture -  too high fashion) 

  • SportsDirectFashion.Wordpress.com (too sponsor hungry)

  • SportySkaterStyle.Wordpress.com (just too much)

  • ClothesForBlokes.Wordpress.com (:-0)


In the end I decided upon ChrisGetsDressed.Wordpress.Com (had a nice ring to it)

















I thought my strap line 'Chris Gets Dressing' was particularly clever using 'Gets' to mean 'Understands' in addition to something that I do.

The header image (above) was not actually going to be this one. I was going to do a digital illustration of myself.

Next I wrote an about me section, where I defined my style as nautical-inspired-city-practical.

#mystyle

The clothes arrived and I organised a photoshoot but I never got round to posting the result or doing anything at all on Chris Gets Dressed. I had so many great ideas but my heart just wasn't in it. 

However I can no longer deprive you, the public, of the magic that was created when I posed in my garden wearing brand new outfits. So here it is. I think I would have called the article: 



3 Spring/Summer looks for £45*

From spring showers to summer sunshine, use these four simple items to create a range of outfits that are great for BBQs in the garden or football in the park.

Chris wears:
- Hanes Mens Slim Fitted High V-Neck Cotton T Shirt £4.08
- Piazzaitalia Light Knitted Cardigan (Turned out to be completely different to the online picture) £6.99
- Pierre Cardin C Chino (Good trousers but the buttons keep falling off - also got a free mug because the order was fulfilled by Sports Direct) £10

- Unisex American Style Fleece Hoodie (Forrest green) £11.99

*All available from amazon.co.uk - prices do not include P+P

























41 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks man, glad you liked it - I hope you manage to keep on blogging!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi
      We at The Little Box Boutique would sincerely like to apologise for this posting.
      The media freelancer we employed took it upon himself to spam every blog he came across regardless of its content.
      I can see from your blog that you have taken great care and effort creating something very special, so once again please accept our apologies.
      By the way, LOVE the Grey/Blue jumper..... The one with the zip.
      Livz

      Delete
  3. Like your pics. You look young and stylish in these clothing. See more here for Cheap FLATSEVEN designer clothing men online.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chris, I regularly find myself hunting for good blogs as I like to get as engaged as possible and I have to say that what I have just read was not only the most entertaining but really endearing. Your honesty is refreshing and I admire the fact that you're just being you. I will definitely be putting you on my regulars list- Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, really appreciate your kind comment. I will try and keep posting on here but I have just moved to France and am working on starting a new blog focused on cycling, learning french and drinking Bordeaux wine!

      Delete
  6. Buy Mens T-Shirts online- Find wide range of printed, designer, funny, long, graphic, plain, vintage, logo, slim fit, cotton T shirts on Trendin.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. WE ARE FROM INDIA DOING GARMENTS SURPLUS & STOCK IF ANY INTERESTED PLS CONTACT

    stocklot07@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. designer clothes for men-Find great deals on cipo baxx jeans. Jeans by Cipo and Baxx. cipo and baxx tshirts, sweaters & black jeans.. All Sizes and other styles - Cipoandbaxxus.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. the collection is awesome. good post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Third-generation co-owners Chas and Gordon Geiger, who already have stores in Lakewood and Chagrin Falls, said their newest location will open this fall in the ground floor of the Ivory on Euclid (formerly the Truman Building) at 1020 Euclid Ave., just east of Heinen's. The brothers have signed a letter of intent to that effect with CRM Companies Inc., which owns and manages the building. We provide best quality Mens clothing online, Cheap mens clothing, Women's fashion clothing, Women Clothing Online, Women's tops online and Best women skirts

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like your post. if you want some more Online shoping site which gives the cheapest rate plz visit : mens capri online

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice Photographs. Thanks for sharing. Get Shoppers Stop Coupons for your next shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We at Pezalli, produce high quality shirts for discerning gentleman, entirely hand crafted. From exquisite

    fit and comfort to impeccable elegance, this shirt offers you the best of both British traditional

    craftsmanship and modern Italian design.Pezalli Bespoke shirts are custom made with your personal

    choice of fabric, style components and monogram, using 22 pieces and 55 separate steps, to create a

    statement of style and quality unlike any other. http://www.pezalli.com/craftmanship.php

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the info! Check out the
    RCB vs MImatch today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing post! .I appreciate your hard work. Thank you for sharing. I have also share some use full information.
    echobeat review
    chargeboost reviews
    liporing
    doc socks
    livewave antenna cost

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, this blog is great. Use Full Links.
    SmartCar Review
    AirPhones Review
    Video Doorbell Review

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like the way you write the post and help us with the information. Thank you for sharing this post. Please read my blogs too.
    tikitunes review
    thephostick review
    peeps review
    creaclip review
    copper protector review

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow really amazing post sucha a good information and good quality writing in this post. Thanks
    Best Nail Clipper

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for information if you interested please visit here best deal for this product
    Vigilator Pro Review
    SpectroSeal Review
    Powervolt Energy Saver Reviews
    iSkin Review

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your writing skills is too good, you have explained the topic in very good manner. Keep it up and I have also write some review about the electronics gadget which peoples use on their daily basis and full fill their daily life need.
    Photostick for computer
    Scratch Undo Pro Pen
    Correct Back Posture Belt
    How PetHydro Max Works

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have been searching for such an informative publication for many days, and it seems that my search here has just ended. Good job. Continue publishi
    Enterprise Resource Planning

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice post Requard water treatment company in uae,sewage treatment plant,water treatment companies in dubai . It shows the great knowledge thanks. For providing this valuable . Information but visit us for Requard niche Information.
    water treatment company in uae,sewage treatment plant,water treatment companies in dubai

    ReplyDelete
  23. It was nice to know more about you. We share similar qualities, and we are pleased to learn from those things that you share.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice Blog !
    Our team at QuickBooks Customer Service is committed to what we do and put our best effort into resolving all the issues of QuickBooks.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So I’ve launched my blog! But other than posting frequently I don’t really know what to do next. To be honest I really want to make money doing this but to figure it all out seems so immense. I’m intrigued by the idea of hiring a coach. Do you have any recommendations on how to find a great one.
    Joseph Donahue

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great post Ramsey!
    My advice to fashion bloggers would be to focus a lot of energy on the photos and be sure to organize them on killer Pinterest boards. Memes are hot, so are the photos that have text on them, infographics, tall pins. These will all drive traffic back to their blog. I truly believe that imagery is the frosting on a cake. There are always people that only eat the frosting. Pinterest is one giant river of frosting. Fashion is so visual, if you build your boards wisely on pinterest the army of frosting eaters will recirculate your imagery and do the rest of the work for you.
    Kelly Hubbard

    ReplyDelete
  27. i love reading this article so beautiful!!great job! Roupas importadas

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am thankful for all of your exceptional posts. In which else should somebody probably discover that form of information written in such an exceptional manner? The subsequent week is my presentation, for this reason i am searching for this sort of facts.
    Latest Pakistani fashion trends for women 2023

    ReplyDelete