You will know when it exists -- Obscure journalism direct from our man on the ground.

Sunday 2 June 2013

The Maltese Talkin' - Chapter 7 - Gozo & The Supernatural Magic Of Dwejra

















Chapter  7.   [ with photos ]




Waiting for the ferry to Gozo at Cirkewwa


 















The day was one of those rare days void of a season. The sun was getting bored, the clouds were wandering aimlessly. I was stood on the front deck of a ferryboat, cooled by what felt like the wind’s last heavy breaths. Just me and some freight trucks going over the fidgeting sea to the rural island.

The two other passengers











On arrival I walked past some fishermen re-painting their boats. The trucks from the ferry all past me up the first hill, honking their horns as they went. I spoke to a spectral man in his shaded doorway, explaining I that I was here for today and the night.

“Be careful,” he said, in what little English he had - I was not sure whether to take it in good will or as a threat. 


Mgarr harbour


       










I turned right at the top of the hill and walked through a village. On the outskirts I found an abandoned Mini painted pink with ‘GOZO GIRLS ON CALL HOB69696969’ scrawled in blood red on the side. A black air freshener hung in the front with a skull wearing an Elvis wig and the words ‘Die Young, Stay Beautiful’ written in a skeletal font. 


Couldn't resist a ride
















I found a bay and went down for a swim. As I was about to climb in an old woman appeared heralded by her barking dog. She warned me that the sea was too rough.

“If you go in today, you might not come back out.” were her words of advice.


         I walked back the way I came, going past the village on the hill onwards towards Victoria, the capital of Gozo. The small city was as dull as its grey buses so after eating a slice of pizza I decided to continue walking. I was overtaken this time by a man riding a two wheeled ‘Gig’ – a cart pulled by a cantering horse. Practicing for the Trot Races - a national sporting event. I continued on and on with very little to look at except vast fields and ‘Stick No Bills’ signs attached to stone shacks until the sea once again became visible. 


 
No posters here











The long curvy road passed historic remnants of The Roman Civilisation, noted only by a tiny wooden sign: just another group of visitors barely remembered. The evening had started and was moving in fast when I reached the bottom of the hill. There I saw the small and surreal inland sea of Dwejra Bay.

         Dwejra is unique in many ways and plaques cropped up here and there to give detailed scientific information about the area and its rare breeds of plants and wildlife.  


Plaque 1.
Dwejra is an outstanding example representing significant on-going ecological and biological processes in the evolution and development of communities of plants and animals, including micro-evolutionary processes and the development of an endemic rupestral community including the presence of rare and endangered species.

         I sat by a hidden freshwater pool and wondered why this little ecological community was such a haven for loners, one-offs and mysteries - an outpost of the rare. Maybe it was here because any functional society needs little deposits for its anomalies. Or maybe the anomalies themselves choose these places that support their special requirements, these places on the border of the invisible that permit a strange existence.  


Dwejra's Azure Window and Inland Sea












Plaque 2.
Up to this day the Cart-Ruts have remained an unsolved puzzle to all authors and scholars who have tried to describe their function and behaviour. Attempts at giving a solution to these enigmatic features have been a continuous endeavour and various hypotheses have been suggested from irrigation systems to ancient mechanisms for the constructing of Megalithic Temples. But all theories are based on assumptions and limited evidence. The pair of ancient Cart-Ruts in the Dwejra area climb all the way up from behind the chapel dedicated to Saint Anne to the towering cliffs north of the Inland Sea. These Cart-Ruts are one of the most enigmatic archaeological features due to an unexplainable two metre drop and to the fact that they start and terminate in a mysterious way. 
 
         Brooding in the twilight hour, I felt I had a connection to Dwejra; a place accessible to the mainland ecosystem, similar in most respects, but also unapologetically different. Here without reason, sat purposely lost before the cold sunset. 

         Shrill back-wood sounds grew louder and all the horror films I'd ever seen converged in my mind along with the fear they had created. Here I was alone at a bizarre cove, night falling, wind whipping up; the moon wearing a costume of dread. I had time to dwell on those movies, the horrific monsters and murderers. The light vanished, I had no place to turn for comfort and as time crept ever onwards… nothing happened. There was nobody else around unless they were inside the little locked up beach houses. Hours pass slowly on the edge of nowhere, fright sharpens the senses. The all encompassing chirping noise that Crickets make became clearer and clearer but no longer induced apprehension, instead it bestowed familiarity and comfort - unlike the stone I was sitting on. 

         I stand up feeling in tune, feeling a power bestowed by nature. I want to face down a wild beast. None even came near me. So I shouted at the top of my lungs “BRING OUT THE BOAR!” it echoed once or twice then disappeared into the valley's vague history. 

         I lie down on the ground in a walled garden of a beach lock-up that I presume empty, resting completely calm. I listen to the wind get continually stronger. Grains of sand blow into my eyes and I realise pain is a problem to deal with not to be afraid of. I wash my eyes with the flat salt water of the sheltered Inland Sea. With my eyes clear of sand I can now see the grains of stars, under which I gradually drift away like Juan Preciado. I sleep like the stones. Cold and hard.


Plaque 3. 
The scientific importance given to Dwejra Bay is mainly due to a 65 metres high megalithic islet named Hagret il-General or Fungus Rock it is the only locality of the sub-species of wall lizard known as Podarcis Filfolensis Generalensis. Fungus Rock takes its name from the parasitic flowering plant Cynomorium Coccineum, a Fungus which only grows on this islet. During the reign of the Knights Hospitaller the Fungus was protected by the Knights of St John who believed it to have medicinal powers. 
        
         The brief sleep of pure necessity ends.  I rub my eyes as I watch a fishing ship out in the unruly sea bobbing up and down and occasionally completely disappearing under a wave, only to return seconds later unperturbed.  


Disappearing ship near Hagret il-General












         Once I'd walked back to Victoria, in a cafĂ© that had just opened I sip a coffee so strong the shock of the taste alone wakes me up completely. When the waitress serves the meal I feel the wholehearted, deep appreciation for a plate of food that only comes from being genuinely hungry. I eat the breakfast of Galletti and traditional Ftira bread filled with bacon and a sliced boiled egg, which has a green yolk! I'd never eaten an egg with a green yolk before; things were squiffy on Gozo, but rustic and unspoiled. The green egg tasted real good anyway. I felt brave and ready to leave! 

         When I walked down the hill to the awaiting ferry I nodded to the doubtful local spectre in his darkened doorway who nodded back trusting but unconvinced, retreating back into his home, leaving the door wide open.

By the evening I was back working at the bar at the bowling alley trying in vain to explain how I spent my days off.



26 comments:

  1. Getting top quality weed, hash, pills and coke in Malta is easy if you know the right people to deal with. We highly recommend our reliable local vendor ( green420days@gmail.com ) he has extensive knowledge of Malta and can hook you up with the best quality of bud without any hassle. Just hit him up and place your order. He is very professional and keep things discreet. You won't regret dealing with him. Email "green420days(at)gmail(dot)com "

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may come from a country where weed is legal or at least decriminalized and like to have your "smoke". Don't even think about getting from the streets because the Cannabis laws here are still kind of harsh.


    Personally I recommend Adkin (weedontime@gmail.com) a local here in Malta. He is such a reliable and convenient local plug. He sorted us in style during our visit. He is popularly known and highly recommended. You won't regret. He is a lifesaver and always have in stock what you are looking for at moderate prices


    You can also find him on telegram as: budkonnection

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend Adkin too but his telegram username has been changed. You can now find him on telegram as: kushkonnection

      Delete
  3. It was my first time in Malta and needed some GREEN , my driver gave me Greenie's contact. He has the best quality weed in Malta, he is discreet , reliable and deals face2face. You can reach him at ( GREEN420DAYS@GMAIL.COM ) and he will get you the best quality WEED in Malta. He got us very good quality for my friends and we will forever remain grateful

    ReplyDelete
  4. I drive across town to come here. Greenie is amazing, the customer service is really top notch and very personalized. I feel like family when I buy, and he really knows his products and I really get a sense that they care about my well-being. I had a surgery this year and they went out of the way to be accomodating and sympathetic to the painful process before and after. I refer everyone I know here. Buy from Greenie ( green420days@gmail.com )

    ReplyDelete
  5. At first I was extremely skeptical about emailing some dude named Greenie ( green420days@gmail.com ) whom I got his contact from my cousin and arranging a deal for some quality weed in Malta. I was not disappointed at all! Greenie IS AWESOME! He is all about the customer. He has someone meet you in a quiet (but really convenient) place. I messed up and was waiting at the wrong area. His guy waited for 20 minutes until he finally found me. And the weed is fucking awesome. If you need hook up, look no further. Greenie is your man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely email Isabella ( “”rollbudup420 [at] gmail [dot] COM”” ) when you are in malta . I was able to connect with her within an hour of my wife and I checking in to our hotel. SHe was super responsive and her staff was right on time, friendly and came right to our hotel. We used to getting good medicinal stuff from my home town, and Isabella’s stuff is on par with anything we’ve had back at home! She's also on Telegram/ rollitupkush .... contact her and thank me later

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG I remember Bella , She was also our hook up in malta. Calm girl and doesnt talk much . But yeah her weed is the best. SHe really made our stay in malta worthwhile . SHe is the best if you are looking for a great time in Prague, you can reach her through her new email address domain at ** rollbudup420@gmail.com **. I will recommend her to you anytime and day. You can thank me later shes also on Telegram/ rollitupkush

    ReplyDelete
  8. I drive across town to come here. Isabella is amazing, the customer service is really top notch and very personalized. I feel like family when I buy, and she really knows her products and I really get a sense that they care about my well-being. I had a surgery this year and they went out of the way to be accomodating and sympathetic to the painful process before and after. I refer everyone I know here. Buy from Isabella ( rollbudup420@gmail.com )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks So much My Dearest Isabella ... The Buds were so awesome and thanks for the additional grams for first timers credit ...Hey guys if you are in The City and need some good buds and coke ..Hazzle No More Isabella will make you feel great ..Search Rollitupkush on Telegram or Wickr Id and she also on mail through rollbudup420 "at " g mail com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey mates
    if you guys are in Town looking for good buds
    just link up with Isabella
    She is on telegram as : rollitupkush or Em” rollbudup420@gmailcom

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG I remember Bella , She was also our hook up..Shes very reliable and discreet in her dealings ...get intouch with her ..SHe is the best if you are looking for a great time..Email “ rollbudup420@gmail.com “ . or her Telegram / rollitupkush

    ReplyDelete
  12. She’s very good
    i personally recommend her to all you guys
    Her services are good and fast
    Her Name is Isabella
    text Telegram: rollitupkush

    ReplyDelete
  13. EM:rollbudup420@gmail com .
    She sorted us in style during our little vacation .
    Top quality 420bud of different strains you can find around.
    You won’t regret getting in touch with her . Highly recommended local plug. She is also on Telegram as : rollitupkush

    ReplyDelete
  14. YES I AGREED THAT getting quality bud,coke and other stuffs Isabella is the best over here …Her delivery is very safe and fast …we booked before getting into the city and as we landed i texted her and max 50 minutes she was there with us \\ you can search her on telegram as : rollitupkush

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks you guys for all the good reviews about rollitupkush
    she is indeed the best and fast too…I wouldnt lie i was skeptical about
    everything and when i texted her ..she was very polite and understanding
    and she make everything goes easy and before i noticed my goods
    arrived .. so i say if you are in the city and need some good stuffs
    just search rollitupkush on telegram ..he’s indeed good

    ReplyDelete
  16. SHe is the best seller here for top shelf grass.SHe just ask me some few questions and some few steps to follow then top shelf was delivered to me within 30 minutes. SHe made my visiting here a perfect one.hit her up via the (@rollitupkush) on telegram or mail rollbudup420@gmailcom above if you need some to be delivered to you

    ReplyDelete
  17. *ATTENTION MATES* My friends and I have been stranded for very long time and then we landed on this Details (@rollitupkush) on telegram
    WOOW WOOW WOOOW EVERYTHING WAS GOOD AND QUALITY WAS TOPNOTCH

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello mates
    Thanks so much for all the positive reviews about @rollitupkush on telegram .it was very stressful for me when i first came into the city until i jumped into your comments and then give her a trial ...her bud quality are really tasty and her services are good ....

    ReplyDelete
  19. I’ve never gotten green(w.e.e.d) from an online forum… seems super sketchy
    – but I thought I’d try anyways. I Texted isabella rice (rollitupkush) on telegram and within less than ONE HOUR all of our problems were solved. Of course prices were affordable – BUT THE BUD WAS JUST AS GOOD!!! I’m telling you —- strait chronic.

    ReplyDelete

  20. Are you in Townn trying to buy some quality stuffs from a local dealer whom you can trust ? Then I will say hassle no more.
    Just hit up Isabella at rollitupkush on telegram . fast and reliable .

    ReplyDelete
  21. ****ATTENTION MATES**** I remember ISabella ( rollitupkush on telegram ) , she was also our hook up of good buds and coke . She sorted us in style during our little vacation .
    Top quality 420bud of different strains you can find around.
    You won’t regret getting in touch with her . Highly recommended local plug.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So I will admit I was extremely skeptical about emailing some Girl named Isabella ( rollbudup420@gmail.com) and arranging a drug deal for some weed and Hash . But after reading all the positive reviews I figured it was worth a shot. I was not disappointed at all! Isabella IS AWESOME! SHe is all about the customer. SHe has someone meet you in a quiet (but really convenient) place. I messed up and was waiting at the wrong area. Her guy waited for 20 minutes until he finally found me. And the weed is fucking awesome. If you are coming to Town and need the hook up, look no further. Isabella is your Girl. Yoy can also Get her on Telegram / rollitupkush

    ReplyDelete

  23. If you are in search of quality bud and other stuffs from a local dealer, just get to Isabel (rollbudup420gmailcom). SHe sells the best amongst all. SHe is highly known by many for his good job

    You can also find her on Telegram Id as: rollitupkush . only reliable local vendor in

    Town, follow the instructions and stay enjoy proper things

    ReplyDelete


  24. Hey guys, it was very difficult at first until we were introduce to pablorolls on telegram who helped us secured some good w33d stuffs over here .Tabs also available
    He\S very reliable and discreet in his dealings/// he's also on highweedpost@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete